District Manager’s Report
Mission Statement: “Provide the best water possible purveyed in a most professional manner”.
Roger Prowell, our prior District Manager, and Staff arrived at this statement in 2008. Roger made many positive changes to the District which is carried on with the Staff of Chenowith Water PUD to this day. The Staff of Chenowith Water PUD takes pride in the District and carries that pride in their hearts every day.
Some of the changes that have been made are:
- All 4 source water wells have been either replaced or refurbished and have modern controls and telemetry
- New control valves and telemetry allow for redundant source water to serve different areas of the District and for improved fire suppression.
- Well and reservoir controls and telemetry allow for lower energy and treatment costs during the winter low water demand season.
- Completed a Master Plan that guides future capital projects
- Developed hydrant maintenance and flushing programs. The District flushes hydrants twice a year.
- We have also developed valve exercising programs that are carried out once a year that ensures good working valves in case of emergencies.
- The District was awarded one of the first “Outstanding Performances” on May 6, 2011. This certificate is awarded from the Oregon Health Authority for meeting all State and Federal regulations after a very thorough inspection of all District facilities and policies.
- Adopted a rate structure that provides funding for old line replacement and other capital upgrades to improve the system.
- All field staff and management hold the appropriate Certificates from the State of Oregon Drinking Water Program
Since October 1, 2013 I have taken over as District Manager of Chenowith Water PUD. I share the same goals and thoughts of our prior District Manager and have spent many hours going over the future outlook of the District. I have worked for the District for close to a decade, starting out as a laborer in 2005. Over the last decade I have spent many hours educating myself about water. I have spent one third of that decade being on-call and learning the Chenowith Water PUD system. I currently carry Water Distribution Level 3, Water Treatment Level 1, Cross Connection Specialist, and Backflow Tester Certifications.
Future goals that I have for the District are:
- Pass a new Cross Connection ordinance that will give the District guidance on Cross Connection for the future.
- Be granted an Extension of Time for Municipal and Quasi-Municipal water use that will be extended to the year 2051.
- With acceptance of the water use extension the District will seek a Water Conservation and Management Program that will also have to be accepted by the State.
- Work with other entities in the community for integrating future upgrade projects.
- Maintain our “Outstanding Performance” with the Oregon Health Authority.
- Keep up on future technology that will assist in better performance of the District.
Chenowith Water PUD is on firm financial footing which allows for capital improvements throughout the distribution system. The Staff is actively engaged in replacement of old and leak-prone piping to reduce energy costs and increase reliability. We are working on a cooperative project with the City of The Dalles to upgrade the water main and service connection on Second St. By planning together we can reduce cost and limit construction impacts to the community in a combined sanitary sewer, storm sewer, and domestic water project.
We have field staff on call 24/7. In an emergency they can be reached at (541) 980-0512. For any other questions contact the office during business hours: Monday-Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm.
Thanks for visiting our web site.