February 16, 2016
PUD BOARD MEETING AGENDA
FEBRUARY 16, 2016
1. 5:30 pm: Regular Board Meeting 2. Approval of January 19, 2015 Minutes and Consent Agenda 3. Public Comment – 5 minute time limit per person 4. Ben Beseda – Engineer Report 5. Financial Reports Discussion 6. Jeb Miller –District Manager Report
TRAINING SEMINARS & CLASSES: OAWU at Sunriver February 29 through March 4, 2016 will be attended by Jeb Miller and Nathan Pope
BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS:
PUD BOARD MEETING MINUTES
FEBRUARY 16, 2016
Board meeting called to order at 5:30pm by President Mike Elmore.
PRESENT: Tom Ashmore, Rod Peterson via conference call, Marla Skroch, Mike Elmore, Jeb Miller and Tom Peachey. Wendy Shoptaw absent.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES AND AGENDA: Minutes were approved as corrected and Agenda was approved as presented.
PUBLIC COMMENTS: None.
ENGINEER OF RECORD REPORT: Ben Beseda presented his Engineer of Record report.
1. City Site Team Meeting: No PUD projects. There have been scheduled meetings for items outside of the PUD service area.
2. 2016 Project Planning Meeting: Met with PUD staff to discuss needed projects for 2016. Multiple items were discussed. We elected to move forward with distribution system improvements plans for two projects. The first being to complete the replacement and upgrade of the waterline in Lockwood Street in Murray’s Addition area. This project will complete needed work in this part of the system identified in the 2011 Water System Master Plan. The second project is waterline replacement and upgrade on West 8th and 9th Streets. These are two dead end roads running northerly off of Snipes Street. These lines were also identified for replacement in the Master Plan and have been a maintenance issue for the staff. We have started utility locates and filed survey on both of these projects.
3. Highway 30 Chenowith Creek Bridge Replacement: ODOT has started design on a replacement bridge for the Old Highway 30 crossing of Chenowith Creek. The work is at least a year out from construction. We inquired with ODOT if the PUD could place a waterline in the new bridge structure for future system expansion. ODOT was very receptive to this inquiry and have a process and agreement system for these types of partnerships with other utility providers. We assist ODOT with the design component of what we need. ODOT then includes the item in their project and then the PUD would reimburse ODOT for the cost of the bid item(s) related to our work. If the PUD wishes to pursue this arrangement I can make sure ODOT knows and contacts us for the design component when they are ready.
4. 6th and Snipes Street Hotel: This project appears to be coming back to life. I anticipate some site grading activity in the next couple months. I do not yet know the schedule for the full project but it does appear to be on the relatively near time horizon.
FINANCIAL REPORT: Jeb Miller let the Board know that he had found out how to print individual line items. If there are any questions at future Board meetings he was able to print those out before the meeting starts. Financials approved as submitted.
DISTRICT MANAGER’S REPORT: Jeb Miller presented his District Manager’s Report.
Jeb talked about sending a letter to the three meter companies that sent in bids for the meter replacement project. The letter said “we regret to inform you that Chenowith Water PUD has decided to not accept any bid for new meters at this time. Thanks for assisting in this matter and we will inform you when we are ready to go to bid in the future.” Jeb explained he was going to Jackson Hole in the end of February and contacted Jackson Hole District. He explained that they have Neptune meters and reading equipment that he was going there to take a tour while there. Jeb will also be taking a tour of Sunriver Water District while at the OAWU Conference.
Jeb told the Board that he did order a compound meter for Chenowith Elementary. The existing meter is a two inch turbine meter that is not reading accurately on low flow. Jeb also had the question on whom to get ahold of for multiple months of past dues from the School District. Tom Peachey advised Jeb to contact the School’s Superintendent over this matter and during that time let her know Chenowith Elementary will be having a new meter installed and that bills could go up due to better accuracy. Jeb said he would contact the superintendent over these two matters.
There was a show and tell with CLA-VAL parts that Jeb presented. Jeb had Hydro-Tech come in to fix a solenoid valve at the LC3 location. What they found was a hole in the diaphragm of the 3 inch valve. Fixing a diaphragm was much cheaper than the solenoid valve so they decided to look at the CLA-VAL at Foley Booster Station. There they found a bad gasket seat which was not allowing the valve to close. Jeb brought the parts in for the Board to see. Mike Elmore asked if the District was planning on starting a yearly maintenance program on these valves. Jeb informed the Board that the District already had Hydro-Tech writing up a yearly maintenance program.
The crew had been busy getting all buildings ready for the Sanitary Survey. Michelle Byrd from the State Drinking Water Program will be here March 8, 2016 at 10:00am. Last Sanitary Survey we received an outstanding performance and Jeb destined to receive it again.
Jeb presented the PowerPoint presentation showing the charts and graphs of water sold, revenue, water loss, revenue from unaccounted for water and totals for yearly water loss. Along with the graphs Jeb showed pictures of the Hostetler main break along with pictures of moving Dan Durows meter. Jeb informed the Board that he would have many pictures of all the buildings painted and cleaned up at the next Board meeting.
That concluded the District Manager’s report.
OLD BUSINESS: None.
NEW BUSINESS: None.
TRAINING SEMINARS & CLASSES: OAWU Conference in Sunriver February 29th March 4, 2016 will be attended by Nathan Pope and Jeb Miller.
Tom Ashmore announced that Jeb, Marla and he attended the SDAO Conference in Sunriver. Tom mentioned that the conversation came up about the District switching to a PERS retirement. The discussion went around the Board and they asked for Jeb to look into PERS and get more information. Jeb said he would look into it and have more information at the next Board meeting.
With no further business, the motion was made by Tom Ashmore and seconded by Marla Skroch to adjourn the meeting. 4 ayes, 0 nays.
Submitted By: Jeb Miller, District Manager
Approved as to content at regular meeting held March 15, 2016 By: Mike Elmore, President Board of Director